Saturday, 20 October 2012

Outdoor lounge update 2

I recently started jazzing up my outdoor lounge. I had painted it white and Mum had started recovering the cushions with calico as the lining.
I had been trying to find a suitable outer fabric that wouldn't fade from the sunlight. I couldn't find anything locally that I liked or could afford. I ended up finding this one at an online American shop, Surprisingly adding the postage costs to the price of the fabric still made this a far cheaper option than buying anything locally. From the time the order was processed to the time it arrived to my door step was less than a week.

Here is a blurb on it.
"This outdoor solarium fabric is solution dyed (solution-dye process is when the color is manufactured into and throughout the fiber, the color is part of the finished fabric). This gives the fiber consistent and durable color that stands up in tough environments, such as sustained direct sunlight. This fabric will withstand 5,000 hours sunlight and is perfect for porches, patios, deck side, pool side and boat side"

Now I just have to wait until Mum has time to sew these for me. 

Kitchen hutch - I have started

Oops I am been absent for a while. No, I don't have a note from my Mother.

I had computer dramas and had to delete my cookies. Then I couldn't automatically log in and I had forgotten both my password and my google email. I am not, and probably never will be, a computer expert.

I have finally started on the hutch. Woohoo.

Here is another BEFORE shot.
 The black patches on the paint are mold stains. EWWW

The inside was very dirty. The Contact Paper that had been stuck on was very hard to remove and I nearly pulled the cupboard on top of myself a few times. Without anything inside it is very front heavy and easily to unbalance. In fact the entire thing fell over from a gust of wind when I had it outside doing the sanding.
The picture below shows the cupboard stripped of all doors and the contact paper. It took about two hours just to remove the hinges and latches as they were so rusty.
 As the hinges and latches were rusty, I made the expensive decision to replace them. Trust me this was EXPENSIVE. It better be worth it in the end. I ended up buying them online from as they were the cheapest online shop I could find.

I need to replace some of the plywood on the bottom shelf. I am not very good at cutting anything so this will be interesting. The damaged piece looks to have 4 straight sides so hopefully I can cut it without too many dramas.

You can't see it in this photo but I have already sanded the sides of the hutch.

I am still unsure if I paint the inside or use wallpaper. I think I might be leaning towards painting. Mainly as I have paint and need to keep the costs down after what I have spent on new latches and hinges. I really wish I had a paint sprayer, it would come in handy for a job like this.