Saturday, 21 September 2013

Craft - My fun new bedroom lamp

It is rather embarrassing to admit but this lamp project took me 9 months.... I'm not sure why either.  I painted the lamp around Christmas time and it has sat in the shed ever since. I just didn't get around to doing something with the lamp shade or finding that little black plastic bit that holds the lamp shade still. If anyone asks I will say I was letting the paint cure.

Anyway here are before photos.

And the before of the lamp shade.
The lamp base was in good condition but it was brown. I am trying to get rid of boring colours in the house so this needed a paint. The lamp shade was old so I really wasn't sure how I was going to upcycle it. This was another project where I was determined that I wasn't spending any money which really limited what I could do.

I got out the fabric markers and let the kids help me decorate it. I figured the lamp shade was so old that if it didn't turn out I would throw it away or recover it with fabric.  The boys took turns to decorate a panel each. Three of us went for an outdoor garden theme but one of my boys drew himself as a red Power Ranger. He currently has a Power Ranger obsession so I wasn't surprised with his choice. Here is his contribution. It think it is awesome.

My boys aren't into craft so a quick colouring in project is perfect for them. I have a few little craft projects for the boys to do over the school holidays as we need to make a start on Christmas presents and cards.

Now here is the finished bedroom lamp. I love it. The flowers were crochet flowers I bought on ebay a while ago. I also added a few random buttons that I found around the house. It is certainly unique and I know many people wouldn't like it but it suits my room and my personality. I still haven't found that plastic bit that holds the lamp shade still but it will turn up eventually... the shed isn't that big.

Furniture renovation: Foot stool - almost too nice for feet.

I bid on something at auction and this foot stool happened to come with the item I wanted. I had no idea what I was going to use it for, so it has sat in the shed for a long time. 

I am trying to clean out the shed so I thought I better do something with it. I pulled off many layers of fabric. Each layer was as dusty and stained as the previous layer. Ewww.  I was determined to not spend any money on the project so I have used left over paint and fabric for the project.

I gave the timber a light sand and have painted it a light blue. The fabric has sat in my stash pile for about 10 years so it is about time that got used.
I have put it in my bedroom with my orange chair. The photos aren't that clear as my room is so dark, even in the middle of the day. The only window in there, faces the wrong way to get any decent light so please excuse the shoddy photos.
 I really like the end result. It is hard to tell from the photos but some of the flowers are the same orange as in the chair. It is quite comfortable and very clean. One of my boys really wants to claim it as a seat to use when he is playing the Wii. So now I am on the look out for another footstool for him.