Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Furniture renovation project - desk

I bought this old desk at auction a long time ago. It needed a bit of work but it was very solid and sturdy so worth the money. It sat out in the carport for a long time and when ever the youngest man walked past he would peel off strips of the veneer. It went from a small patch fix to requiring all the veneer to be removed. 

 It eventually got moved to the shed to join all the other projects and mess. After a while I got sick of all the space it was taking up so I started working on it. I spent about 4 hours stripping off the veneer using a paint scrapper. Then I sanded the traces of glue.
 I had to hammer a few nails back into the timber.
 After a couple of coats of undercoat, I painted it white and green.

The final coat of white was done late one afternoon and unfortunately I didn't check the weather forecast. The wet season decided to finally arrive later that night. Three solid weeks of rain really affected the paint drying. I left the draws out for about a week and I thought they were dry and safe to put back in. Big mistake. In our hot and humid weather the draws stuck. Eventually I was able to pry them open but I have learnt a lesson there.

1 comment:

  1. I have just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the sexiest virtual strippers dancing on my taskbar.